Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Test your Internet connection

Okay, so you have a high-speed broadband connection. The advertised speed is 3 Mbit downstream and 768 Kbit upstream. Are you really getting what speeds you are supposed to get?

I test my Internet connection quite frequently to make sure I'm getting what I'm paying for. There are two Web sites that I frequent to test my Internet connection, and I've found both of them to be the most accurate for downstream speed tests. As for upstream testing, one out of two of these test Web sites offers a free upload speed test service.

One Web site that I use all the time is bandwidthplace.com. It has test servers all around the world with very good Internet connections, so you'll get an accurate test result.

My other favorite test Web site is TOAST.net. This is a small ISP located in Toledo, Ohio. It has a list of test servers (fifteen, to be exact). Eight of the servers are free to use, and seven come with its paid package (US$2.95/month). You probably won't need the paid package unless, for some reason, you require access to its premium test servers. TOAST.net also has a free upstream speed test to test your connection's upstream.

I find speed testing an important part of the Internet. Many times when I find that my Internet connection is slower than it should be, I can run a speed test and contact my ISP if necessary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We all know that broadband suppliers advertise their speeds as "up to"
a certain level. But how fast is your actual connection? Now you can
find out with our broadbandspeed test, use the
checker below to find out. To get accurate results make sure that you
are not using your internet connection for anything else while the test
runs (it only takes a few seconds)