Thursday, April 28, 2005

Space Oddity (Music and Video)

David Bowie wrote a number of songs during the late 1960's and early 1970's with a sound that's just as fresh today as it was at the time. Space Oddity was his first hit and for me, the first track that I consider part of the collection of timeless tracks that are a signature of much of his glam period that is best remembered with The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust. Earlier this month, Flash animation site Newgrounds featured a college project by someone who created a sort of music video set to Space Oddity. The animation is simplistic but effective in translating the story of the song to a modern medium. I have my doubts about anyone clearing the rights with Bowie, so I don't imagine it will be long before a cease and desist is issued, but it's definitely worth watching at least one. Be cautioned that some areas of Newgrounds are definitely not family friendly.
With thanks to Jake Ludington's Digital Lifestyle

No comments: